Monday, December 19, 2011

Day One Hundred & Eighty Nine - The Surprise

The moment I saw the Rockies from my window on the plane I was fidgeting and smiling like an idiot. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I could not have walked through customs fast enough. The anticipation to see my parents face at the airport was overwhelming. Everything felt like it took twice as long. Waiting to get off the airplane. Walking to customs. Going through customs. Waiting for my luggage, which I was so scared didn’t actually make it to Juba because the luggage system in the Juba Airport consists of you waiting in line for a really long time, someone putting a luggage tag on your bag and then proceeding to throw it in a pile which is right beside all of the other airlines baggage. Juba has obviously been functioning with this system for a while so I should not have had any doubt about my luggage arriving with me in Calgary.

As I rounded the corner of international arrivals I was scanning the large crowd furiously to catch my parents faces but alas there were way too many people and I could not find them. They found me first. I saw my Dad first and it was the best hug ever and instant tears. Mom’s face was priceless. Sheer disbelief and shock. One of the best moments in my life for sure. And you know what my Mom said to me after saying “It’s you. It is really you!” over and over again. “Where is Jessica?”. I of course said she is not coming. Hahha. They had a picture of Jess printed out and even a sign saying Jessica H. SO CUTE. Apparently they almost ran down two girls they thought could be Jessica. Haha. But once my dad saw me those were useless.

I think my Dad scared everyone who was around him and made them think he was crazy because apparently the moment he saw me come around the corner he started yelling at me and calling me a brat. Hahah. Good way to part the sea of people waiting for their loved ones though. Good strategy dad :)

My older sisters were the next to find out by phone call. Calling from the home phone sure confused them. They didn’t want to sound stupid and ask if I was calling from home because they knew I was not there. Cherilyn was too shocked to really react. She even walked past me without noticing. Haha.

Lisa, the greatest girl ever, gave the most entertaining and dramatic reaction. I loved it. Tyson answered the door, let out a shocked exclamation and seconds later Lisa was screaming, bounding up the stairs and in my arms, legs wrapped around me. Greatest welcome home reaction.

So to say the least, my surprise was a success and I am very happy to be home surrounded by my family and the people I love.

1 comment: