Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 327 - From Afar...


I found myself feeling rather homesick for the first time since returning to Africa in January. I felt a little off in the airport but just put it off as the feelings only the Juba airport can give a person. On the plane I slept and while I slept I dreamt. I woke up so confused. I could not figure out where I was. Click. “Caryn, you are on a plane to Cairo” my mind kindly told me. It is amazing what the mind can do. I have only ever flown in and out of Cairo in order to go back to Canada. Thus explains my feelings of missing home. I tell ya, it is a very strange feeling to wake up on a plane and not know where you are.

Cairo. I have returned to your insane streets once again. I never feel like fighting at the airport for a taxi so I paid $4 more than I should have for my taxi to my hotel. On the way I noticed the increased security on the streets and I saw where the last riot was. There were still people there, however there were now about 15 tanks lined up, surrounded by Police, blocking off the street. Nothing else has changed. People still drive like maniacs. Call to prayer surrounds you. People are everywhere. This is Cairo.

Once I finally found my hotel downtown I was just about ready to lose it on my driver. He had no clue where he was going. So frustrating. I arrived, a little out of breath (6 flights of stairs will do that to ya), sweaty and annoyed. The hotel had a calming feel to it though and once I was shown my room I had forgotten all about the long ordeal it was to find the place. A lovely, clean and very simple room. Exactly what I wanted.  


                                      

After a cup of tea to relax I headed out to Khan el Khalili. I made a friend who I went for coffee with. Coffee actually ended up being strawberry juice and it was delicious! Juice turned into meeting 2 more people, relocating to another cafĂ© so the guys could play cards. It was very entertaining and made for a very enjoyable evening/night.        


                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment