Sunday, April 17, 2016

Day 75: Wanna Go to Wanaka?

The moment we entered this part of the South Island I knew that this area just might be my favorite. With its vast lakes, rolling hills and mountains, and incredible winding roads through some of the most beautiful valleys I have seen. Aside from the weather being rather chilly, we were fortunate to move on to Wanaka during Autumn and it was stunning. We spent a week in the area, living at a camp site in Albert Town about 10 minutes from Wanaka. We did a lot whole and a whole lot of nothing. Wanaka town reminded me very much of Canmore. Maybe why I loved it so much here. It is a lovely town, very dependent on the tourism industry, but absolutely gorgeous with plenty of activities and outdoor fun to be had. Wanaka is also famous for its unique movie theater, or so we were told by every one we met along our way down south. It truly was the most unique movie viewing experience I have ever had. There are two screening rooms in this theater, both filled with couches, some old plane seats and even an old car to make for a very comfortable time. The theater also has an intermission in all their movies where they serve homemade ice cream and cookies. Could it get any better than that? Unlikely. They definitely make you want to come back for more.

Taking advantage of our surroundings we went for a lovely stroll along the Clutha river, enjoying the absolutely stunning views. After a few hours of walking we decided to head in the direction of the main road as we were soon going to run out of daylight. We successfully found ourselves a ride back into Wanaka, where we picked up some supplies for dinner and then found ourselves another ride back to the campsite. (Don't worry Mom, she was a lovely old lady who made sure we had enough warm blankets, clothes and ensured we were taking care of ourselves).
It had been a while since I did any proper hiking so one day I decided to conquer Roy's Peak. Roy's Peak, a 16 km return track, with a 1,578 m summit that gives you a beautiful panoramic view of Lake Wanaka and the surrounding areas. As I started walking up the path, though sheep paddocks, I was not sure I would make it up this mountain. It was an arduous, steep climb with paths that never leveled out or went down hill. I fortunately met a kind girl from the UK and we pushed each other to make it to the top. By time I reached the summit my body very thankful for some flat ground to sit down on to enjoy the view. And the views were worth every step up this mountain. 




Sadly, we had to move on from one of my favorite areas in New Zealand after just over a week of enjoying the lovely town and becoming very attached to it. The drive further south proved to be worth moving on to. Cardona Pass connects Wanaka with Queenstown and my goodness gracious, it was spectacular. The surroundings were a serious distraction while driving. Everything was just sooo gorgeous. Unfortunately there were only a few opportunities to stop and photograph the incredible views of the pass but I will forever vividly remember it in my mind. 


1 comment:

  1. Haha! I feel very reassured! I never imagined NZ to be so diverse in landscape and also so mountainous.

    ReplyDelete