Saturday, June 18, 2016

Day 139 - A Month in Wellington/The End


My time in New Zealand ended up being very different from what my plans and expectations had been. Serves me right for having plans and expectations eh? In the end this trip was yet another memorable one to add to my story. 





If you know me, you know that it is a common occurrence for me to eventually get locked out of places. I made it nearly my whole trip without getting locked out of anywhere. In my final weeks I managed to succeed at getting locked out on a rainy day. It was bound to happen...thankfully I had a delicious locally crafted wine to get me through the two hour wait until I could get into the house. 


My remaining time in NZ was rather mediocre compared to my days road tripping it with my German bestie. And I say that with all good intentions. It was days of laziness, attempts at job hunting, trips to the library, tagging along with Alexandra's schedule and random walks around the neighborhood and various Wellington parks/trails. My days were dictated by my energy level and the weather. 
The wind and rain were coming more and more it seemed, which unfortunately limited by adventures and excursions. The weekend trips to the market and for coffee and refills of the fresh spring water in Petone were always a highlight. I also drank a whole lot of delicious wine of all kinds. 










Wednesday were our weekdays to spend together because Alexandra worked from home these days. I was used to being in the presence of someone pretty much at all times for four months straight. It was nice to have a mid week day to spend with her, as always spending the days alone got a little old. 
I ventured out some random excursion to Oriental Bay for some shopping and a wee hike. 
I saw Sesame Street being filmed on this particular trip. It was so random. Oriental Bay was a very low key hike but provided a lovely view of Wellington and the Harbour. 
Little or big it is always nice to get out for a hike.





I sadly left Wellington on June 16th. I took the bus and finally went through the tunnel that was by the park Alexandra and I were at many times and said every time that we would one day go through that tunnel! I found my rental car. An awesome little manual hatchback that I could easily sleep in for the night Everything looked so different backwards, and it didn't feel quite right. It was a lovely quiet drive taking in the scenery until the sun went down. . I made it to Tirau on Hwy 1 where I stopped for fuel. It had felt like something was wonky with the car but I figured I was just not used to it. Upon starting the car and trying to leave the gas station, disaster ensued. Car would no start and a dear AMA driver who had randomly stopped at the gas station came to my rescue. Something was terribly wrong with my rental car and I had less than 5 hours to make it to the airport in Auckland to catch my flight home; 200 km north of where I was. After spending a couple hours in the mechanics shop, we discovered the clutch had gone in my rental car and the amazing man who came to my rescue got approval for me to take their shop loaner for the rest of my journey. 
I was finally on the road after a frantic and anxious wait at the mechanics shop in a comfy station wagon that would get me to my final destination with no issues. I spent the night at a camp site that we had stayed at previously because I knew it was on the way. Te Kauwhata site was my finally campsite of my journey. I made it to Auckland and made my flight with no further issues. It seemed fitting I would end my time in NZ with some ridiculous story of breaking down and nearly missing my departure flight.
 It was a sad departure as I felt my time was not up yet in NZ but I could only focus on cherishing the time I did spend in this incredible country. 



The last few months have been very interesting. I have travelled thousands of kilometers, seen so many places, I even have a hard time remembering everywhere I have been. I have climbed numerous mountains, sat in glorious hot springs here and there, met amazing people, and stayed at some incredible campsites. I have wondered what on earth am I doing here in NZ but it has all been for the best. I have played so many random games with my German bestie and with others we met along the way. I have had so many conversations about anything and everything. The silent moments of awe and the beauty that I have been surrounded by for the entirety of this trip has been incredible. 
My time here was unexpectedly complicated with things from my past but that is ok. 
That is how life works right? 
Your world and experiences meld into one no matter where you go and no matter how far you far away you end up. Thank you New Zealand with all my heart for what you have given me 💓

No comments:

Post a Comment