Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 212 - Walk Like An Egyptian

Once again I have left home and flown half way across the country. After an incredible 3 weeks at home with my family I am headed back to Juba.

After an extremely blustery, but very quick take-off, 3/4 of a movie and a beautiful flight over the Rockies I was in Vancouver where I waited for an hour and a half for my next flight. Airports always intrigue me. I guess it is not airports exactly it is the people filling the airport. Full of people with destinations unknown to you. And full of emotions! Some people are crying. Some are frustrated. Some look exhausted and ready to pass out. Others look like they are so excited to start a new adventure. Some are scared. And the list goes on. The thing is that people do not guard their emotions in airports. If a person is going to cry they are going to cry and usually act as though there is no one else around them. They are in their own little worlds within the airport.

After a restless 9 hours, an awful selection of films and a book that is so hilarious I was laughing out loud (with a few laughing tears) in my seat. I made it to Frankfurt and all I wanted was a bed. Exhausted.

After a short nap and a slight fright of being woken up by my seat mate to eat breakfast, I was in Cairo. Back to the random, "You're beautiful" by passing men and to cold streets filled with people. Now I had a decision to make here. I had 15 hours to pass by in Cairo and I was certainly not keen on spending those hours sitting in the airport. I was however feeling extremely tired and not wanting to expend my energy leaving the airport. After some deliberation I decided to get a hotel room for the night. I made my way to the hotel in New Cairo called Oasis Hotel. Very simple but it has certainly met my needs. I met Benedicte downtown and we went to purchase a phone for me. Phone was successfully purchased. We then headed to Maison Thomas for some dinner. It was a successful evening.

After a fitful few hours of sleep, I am sitting in my bed here in Cairo writing. I seriously woke up an hour and a half after I went to sleep in a panic. I must have been dreaming about going to the airport because I definitely woke up and thought I had missed my plane, however, I had only slept for and hour. I slept another 2 hours and now my internal clock is saying it is time to wake up... Getting a hotel room was a good splurge. It always feels sooo good to lay down after long hours of being cramped on a plane.

In less than ten hours I will be back in Juba, back with my Juba friends and back to work, with a lot of unpacking to do. I can't wait.

1 comment: