Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 415: Prefabs

One word for you today: Prefab.

A Prefab for those of you less informed, is a prefabricated building that is originally built in place and then gets reconstructed in a different location. What this says to me is that "it was built properly the first time and now you get the chance to screw it up the second time around". 

In our case, the second time around was not successful. The buildings where I work and live are literally falling apart. Leaking. Cracking. Being eaten by termites. Apparently termites in Juba will eat anything. They are loving the fiber glass.

I currently have a puddle forming under my chair in the office here. And no the water is not dripping off my wet rain coat, or dripping from the ceiling, nor did I track it in. This puddle is forming from the ground up. I can see where the water is filling up under the tiles. I originally thought the small puddle under my chair was from my dripping coat, however about five minutes after I mopped it up the puddle was back. After further exploration I discovered an even larger puddle under my desk. I watched in amazement as the puddle grew and slowly made its way across the floor. The more it rains the more water comes up through the grout. Oh joy. The rainy season has only just begun. We are in for a messy season here in the compound. I had a few floods in my tent when I was living in one when I first arrived in Juba but that is to be expected. A tent is much more susceptible to the elements mother nature has for us. A building with four proper walls, proper floors, etc, should not leak.

Aside from being horribly built and already falling apart, there is nothing good to say about these building except for the fact that I have a roof over my head. The walls are paper thin. Seriously sometimes it seems as though I am sharing a bed with the person living next to me. No privacy here. The students even say they would rather live in a tukul or a tent. I do not blame them one bit.

Even with all the leaks, cracks, breaks, paper thin wall, and dis-functions, this is my home like it or not.

1 comment: