Thursday, May 5, 2016

Day 95 - Dunedin

The weather transitioning out of summer and into fall. You can feel the chill in the air....I think Dunedin is a beautiful place to experience this transition of weather. We arrived in Dunedin after spending the weekend with new found friends in Balclutha who graciously let us stay with them all weekend after they found us on the side of the road in the rain, taking pictures of deer. 
Thanks to a lovely friend, I had an acquaintance in Dunedin who offered his abode for us to stay at. An intelligent man doing incredible research on suicide and preventative measure in the country. An incredible house, built in 1882, whom he shared with multiple roommates, which made the experience a little bit interesting, but seriously what can you expect when you are crashing on a couch. The house used to be the home of one of the pioneers of plastic surgery in New Zealand. Every common room was bare but grand. We took over the grand living room with 15 ft ceilings and two comfy couches that we sunk into after days of wandering the area. Beats a campsite for sure this time around. Spending a week in Dunedin was wonderful....this was a New Zealand city that I could stay in for a prolonged period of time. 







The people...the landscape...the history...the beauty...the Scottish influence...and basically the feel of this beautiful stone and historic city...It made me feel at home. 
In theprevious photos shows that my friend and I went on a hike of Mt. Cargill. It was not a hike at all since due to my misdirection, we ended up driving basically all the way to the top of this mountain. Which was epically annoying since I had my hiking hating friend all geared up to walk up this hill to get to this beautiful look out. It was a very disappointing realization that we had accidentally driven to the top. Who even makes a hike that you can drive to the top of?!? Silly Kiwi's. 
Dunedin is where I had "The Best Ice Cream In Dunedin" yet another of New Zealand's claims. It honestly was delicious ice cream but this is the only place I had ice cream from so I cannot attest to the grand claim of "the best". It was good ice cream but you can get the same stuff all over the country. Dunedin is very much so a college/university student town. You can feel it. Not a bad thing at all. It actually gives the city a great dynamic. We spent a lot of time at the local library whic spiked my interest in their Nook and Cranny Music Festival. It was honestly one of the most interesting festivals I have been present for. I discovered an artist just by listening and wandering around the library for a few minutes until I found her....Abby Wolfe...stole my heart. There was something so magical about hearing her incredible voice bounce off of the stacks of books surrounding her mini stage. It was amazing. In contrast, the next day we got on the road and drove to Invercargill for a rugby game. We even drove over 200km to see the game...thankfully having seats under the shelter which meant we did not get rained on at all once the clouds opened up after we sat down to watch the game. Sitting out of the rain but watching the men on the field running through the downpour was awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment