Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 295 - Mombasa Continental

I am taking a much-needed break from Juba. I am spending five days in Mombasa Kenya. Hopefully after these five days, spending hours on the beach, a little bit of sight seeing and a whole lot of doing nothing, I will go back to Juba more rested and relaxed.

I left for the airport at 9 AM with two of our instructors whom were going to Cape Town. It turned out my flight was not leaving until 11:40, which meant that I had about three hours to waste at the airport. I managed to do this and only spent 40 minutes sweating excessively in the airport terminal.

After a sketchy take off, an hour nap, and a sketchy landing I was in Nairobi. Hello Kenya! It was cloudy slightly chilly afternoon, which was a drastic change from Juba.

The flight to Mombasa was much smoother and enjoyable. I rather enjoy it when it does not feel like the plane is going to fall apart. It is these kind of flights that make me feel slightly crazy for voluntarily putting myself on an airplane…

Mombasa. I exit the airport to find a man standing with a sign with my name on it. He was the one to take me to my hotel. I hop in the van, which has no A/C. I would have been annoyed with this however it allowed me to experience the sights and smells of Mombasa. His name is Bernard and was very good at giving me the driving tour of Mombasa. It is very humid here which is such a strange feeling. The air smelled much like Juba does at first, like dirt and trash, but slowly the smell of water and the ocean overwhelmed the smells of dirt and trash. It was wonderful.

I am staying at the Mombasa Continental Resort for the night. Sleeping in a king size bed. Then I will be moving to a different resort in the AM. Right after I was settled in my room I put on my flip-flops and headed to the water. It was amazing! Gorgeous view, palm trees and soft sand beneath my feet. Relaxation at its best.



I love the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment