Thursday, February 11, 2016

Day 9: Paihia Dolphin Cove and the Hole in the Rock

I said farewell to Auckland early this morning, after almost missing my bus because I walked in the wrong direction and had to back track to where my bus was actually leaving from. Side note: I am finding myself to be more directionally challenged than usual here. There are so many twists, turns, bays and mountains in all the towns and cities, I can never seem to figure out my directions. (Good thing for GPS). 

I arrived in Paihia in the North at noon and hobbled my way to my hostel, The Bay Adventurer Backpackers. I then rushed to catch a boat tour, the most touristy and commercial activity I likely will do here in the country. 

The boat sailed along all of the islands in the bay, there must have been at least 11 islands we sailed past, some with expensive vacation homes on them, some with sheep roaming to keep the grass down and other islands completely inhabited and untouched. An absolutely stunning view for sure. 
Found Medea's boat chilling in the Russell docks


As we made our way to the end of the Cape Brett Peninsula, we happened upon some beautiful and intelligent dolphins. Such fascinating creatures....


There is a beautiful lighthouse on Cape Brett, which is the one sight to see before you float past Motu Kokako (name Piercy's Island by Captain Cook), known as the hole in the rock.

And then there was the hole in the rock. One of those moments where you think to yourself...this would be really cool if I was on a small boat and fishing or just relaxing in the sun....but no I am on a big boat with 100 or so people, where there are far too many selfie sticks surrounding me, and I am having to swat the selfie sticks away from my face as if they were mosquitoes...absolutely ridiculous. It was a good thing the islands are so beautiful and have a very interesting history. Both of these factors provided very good distractions from all the people around me on the boat. 

Sometimes I forget that I am also just another tourist as well....

3 comments:

  1. Love Medea's boat! Hole in the rock looks pretty cool. Why would you want a selfie when there is such beautiful scenery?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolphins are so amazing to watch...the islands are so rugged and beautiful. I forget I'm a tourist too haha.
    I noticed you used the word "hobbled". How are the feet healing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully your feet are better now. Love Medea's boat! What a great name!

    ReplyDelete