Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day Fourty-Five - The C.C.

Of course the time when I go to the field without my pillow there is no pillow in my room. Not ideal. Breakfast was some sort form of oatmeal, bread and tea. I have opted for tea instead of coffee because instant coffee is not very good without fresh milk and the existence of fresh milk rarely happens. So Yellow Label Lipton tea it is.

We got a ride into town around 10:30. It is roughly 10 minutes into town on a very bumpy road that is always lined with people walking to and from UNMIS compound.

We met with my translator and Lawrence’s data collectors at a restaurant in Souq Kabir Market. They are nice. The one guy always looks like he is about to ask a question so that was quite entertaining.

We met with the County Commissioner to inform him of what we were going to be doing in Malakal and for the first time he directed me to someone else, the South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SSRRC). I was quite surprised with this because in every other place the County Commissioner has the ultimate authority. So we went footing (this is what people say instead of walking…very odd) to the SSRRC office. The director was not there meaning there was nothing I could do in the markets until I informed the director of what Lawrence and I were going to be doing for the next 8 days. Everything is very official here, which is a good thing. The C.C. appreciates being called 'Your Excellency". If you call him that he will know you are giving him your utmost respect. It is a little intimidating going into the County Commissioner office but a very necessary part of my work.

Back to UNMIS we went to relax for the rest of the day. A very unproductive day but that is the way it goes.

We got dinner (they do not call it supper here) at the UNHCR compound. The cook Beatrice is Kenyan and good at what she does. It was just a mix of peas and rice for me. There was the option of meat stew but no thank you. Because I am vegetarian here, they have to make me special dishes, which I am very grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing your taste in meat, you are very smart to be vegetarian there. Mother question--Are you getting enough protein to stay healthy?

    Sounds like you must definitely take each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete