Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day Fourty-Nine - 6 Weeks

I have been in South Sudan for 6 weeks. Hard to believe. It is a hot and sunny Sunday, our day off. And we can actually have the day off. No work to be done today.

We were almost forced to move out of UNMIS compound this morning. The staff who’s rooms Lawrence and I are staying in were to return to Malakal today so that meant we had to move into town. By lunch time it had been determined that there was no way that they could get security clearance on a Sunday so we got one last day at UNHCR. It was good to be able to stay put, relax and not have to deal with finding hotel rooms in town.

Lunch was delicious today. A flavor filled dish with eggplant in it. And there was pasta so a really nice change from rice. Lawrence found a Chinese film to watch on TV, which required me to go take a nap. The majorly unrealistic fighting scenes are just too much for me to handle. After a lovely 2 hours nap, I had some dinner. It was not as good as lunch but still filled me up.

The landscaping in the UNHCR compound is very nice. The sidewalks are lined with the beautiful flowers which I put in my last post. The flowers were all different colors even though they were all from the same plant. It was very intriguing. Like there were flowers of different shades of pink, orange, and red on the same plant. So beautiful.




It is amazing how 6 weeks here feels like twice the amount of time. Being gone for a year is going to be a whole new experience. Being in Cairo for 4 months felt like I was there for 8 months so maybe being here for 1 year will feel like 2 years. Only time will tell.

PEACE.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! I feel like you have been gone for ages already so I can't even think of you being away for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having quite the adventure. Dealing with bureaucracy is overwhelming at times I'm sure. The flowers are beautiful. Almost like a gerbera but the foliage is different! I love ur pics of the mud puddle etc. If u do end up falling in the mud just sit down and take a mud bath like you meant to do that for yourskin in the first place :). Xoxo

    ReplyDelete