Monday, August 1, 2011

Day Fifty - Patience

It's August!

I have lost all my patience and a little respect for Malakal UNHCR. After having to leave our accommodations in UNMIS compound, we had to wait for 3 hours waiting to get a ride into town. The whole time they told us “just wait, the driver is coming in 10 minutes”. Longest 10 minutes of my life.

I dreamed last night that we were late because of UNHCR delaying us and I missed my meeting with the SSRRC. I woke up in a panic, and already knew that this morning was going to be like every other morning at the UNHCR office. My dream was only partly accurate. We were horribly late but I still managed to meet with the SSRRC director.

Our only option for accommodations in town was at the New Sudan Hotel for around 300 SDG!!! Too much money but we had no choice. The rooms are huge and self contained and very nice. I thought it was a double bed but it was actually just two single beds put together…disappointed but not complaining.

We ate lunch at our usual place. I got lentils today! They were very good and a welcomed change from the foul.

I worked on case studies this afternoon but was cut short due to rain. I talked with a woman who owned a restaurant who insisted that I take her home with me to Canada, even after I said that I was not going back to Canada but to Juba. She was cute.

With an hour of rain the roads became nearly impassable. I even had to get Lawrence’s assistance in crossing some of the larger puddles. I did not feel like being the kawaja covered in mud for the rest of the afternoon.

The water at this hotel is absolutely filthy. I feel as though it is counter productive to shower with dirty water. Washing one layer of dirt off while adding a new one. It is probably straight from the Nile. I seriously thought that I had that much dirt on my person, until I realized that was a ridiculous thought and it was not possible that I was that dirty. Brown water = Malakal quality.

I would also like to take the time to point out that I have spelled forty wrong in all of my day forty posts and no one made a comment....don't I feel like an idiot...

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny--I was going to mention the fourty but then always forgot by time I got done reading your blog! I am glad you haven't been in any mud puddles recently.

    ReplyDelete