Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day Seventy Seven - 4 Walls

The luxury of 4 concrete/wooden walls and a swinging door with a lock are surely taken for granted in many parts of the world. I moved out of Transmillenium tent camp, along with the girls today. We are all very ecstatic about it. We moved in the morning in the rain. It started raining before 5am, which is when I woke up and had to pee so bad I had to brave the pouring rain to go to the toilet. When it is raining buckets on your tent it is very hard to get back to sleep with a full bladder. I did not go back to sleep so I was able to appreciate the fact that this would be the last time I heard people banging around in the kitchen, sweeping and the dirt hitting the side of my tent, random peoples music of all kinds, the zippers of others tents opening and closing and having the slight panic that it was my tent which opened and some intruder is now in my tent. That never happened thank goodness. But seriously, all zippers sound alike. I am extremely happy with my new accommodations, even if the toilets are squat toilets. I can deal with that because I now have a mattress on my bed, which does not have the evidence of previous sleepers on it and my hipbones and shoulder blades will thank me. They will not dig into the bed frame anymore. I am also very happy to have a real tile floor and a real door that locks. Not so stoked on the fact that I now have to keep track of my room key…AND we purchased awesome fans in the market all by ourselves and even fit 3 of them assembled into the back of the Rav4 along with a suitcase. Very impressive.

The rain sounded like a fuzzy radio or lost tv channel this morning. It was strange.

I finished my book this morning. Six Months in Sudan has come to an end. I enjoyed reading about a fellow Canadians experience in Sudan even though it was entirely different compared to mine considering her was here in 2007 and located in Abyei working for MSF. Very interesting to read, thought provoking. Reading it makes me think about what parts of my day I chose to focus on and contemplate. So much goes on and you see so many things and once an environment becomes normal you do not notice everything as easily or as often compared to when you first arrived. When I first arrived everything was so new, and incredible different it was overwhelming to the point of exhaustion.

1 comment: