Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day Sixty-Five - Prairie Towns

I am sitting listening to the rain fall on my tin roof and watching out the window as it falls on the ground. I like Rumbek. Maybe it is due to the fact that I have a lovely room, with real windows, doors, and I do not have to walk out side to use the toilet or the shower, but I really do think from what I have experienced and observed, Rumbek seems like a decent place to live. I like the atmosphere. The way it makes me feel. It is good. I was told today that Rumbek is at its best this time of year. It is green and lovely, the weather is cooler, rain is always welcomed here. In February it is apparently just gray. I can imagine it. I am sure it is much like how Southern Alberta falls are. Everything is blah. No color. Just brown. Maybe I will come to Rumbek in February. I would definitely like to come back here one day.

The ground here in our hotel compound is very interesting. It is different colors and I have made the conclusion that the color determine whether or not you will sink into it or not, or how deep you will sink, or if you are just going to slip on the surface. There is light brown, dark brown, greenish brown and then there are distinct paths which are sporadic but have been made from red rock. There may be another color of dirt but tiredness has fogged my mind. You certainly want to avoid the greenish brown ground. You will slip and fall. The dark brown ground will leave you with a mud caked shoe or sandle. The light brown ground or redish path are the best kind of ground to walk on. Ultimate ground to walk on!

Today was another day I was reminded how small our world is, and it was confirmed that Rumbek is an interesting place that has good people living here. I met a woman today, who is actually a friend of Natalie's. We did the normal where are you from small talk and such. She had mentioned Canada so I figured I was safe to say that I was from Alberta. She looked at me and said, "I am from Calgary". I said I was from Olds, just on the chance that she knew it and her jaw dropped a little. She has family living in Didsbury! I NEVER thought I would come to Sudan and have someone here who would know where I was from and grew up in the same area.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are learning which dirt to avoid and which can be considered walkable!

    Small world! These connections mean so much when you are a long way from home.

    ReplyDelete