Monday, August 15, 2011

Day Sixty-Four - The Dinka Way

I may or may not have called very loudly/yelled at one of my data collectors from across the market today. That is right. I was the kawaja yelling from the other side of the street today. I did not care if it was appropriate or not. My patience had run out after waiting for almost an hour for my last data collector to come back at the end of the day. Benedicte and I did get to ride in a rickshaw for the first time, well the first time for me. It was fun. A good way to brighten my not so pleasant mood caused by my lack of patience at the end of the day...

I had a conversation about my age and my martial status with my data collectors and some random men who have become my Rumbek friends. I find it interesting how this is such a hot topic with the majority of men that I meet here. The problem with it is that I have a hard time lying about the fact that I am single and certainly do not have any children. When I choose to tell the truth I always end up regretting it. Haha. I have to get it in my head that making up stories are the best ways to avoid inappropriate marriage offers. After saying all of this, I did tell these men that I am engaged, or promised to a man back in Canada. One of the guys asked what kind of dowry was given for me. I said matter of factly that in Canada we do not have dowries. Wrong thing to say if I was looking for a way to end this conversation topic. The men were interested because they said if they see a pretty girl like me and find out she is promised to another man, they will find out what the dowry is and if they can, they will offer the girls family more than the man who already has her did to take her as his own. Wowza.

Lesson learned: I need to make up extravagant stories about how I am very happily married with many children back in Canada.

Best advice heard: This comes from Natalie. If a man does suggest that he would like you to become one of his wives the thing you need to say that "in my culture women do not share their men. We are selfish woman and want our man all to ourselves so there is no possible way I could become a 2nd, 3rd or 4th wife". This would be a very respectful way of turning down the proposal.

Best thought had in the Rumbek market to date: Next time some random person comes up to me and tries to talk with me, I may just pretend that I do not speak English. I think I know enough spanish to make that believable. "No hablo engles. ?Como esta? !Vete!" I think it is brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. Totally brilliant! Use the spanish and avoid the marriage talk all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Caryn! That is hilarious! I love reading about your adventures and awkward marriage proposals! I think that your idea with Spanish is perfect! Made me laugh so much!

    Another good one is ¡déjame solamente! Or just déjame. 'Leave me alone/leave me'

    ReplyDelete