Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day Fifty-One - Malakal Teachings

Always assume you will be rained on at least once a day.

Accept mud covered feet and pants.

Gum boots would have been a good investment.

Never trust a taxi driver who tries to majorly over charge you the first time…he will do it again.

People run on their own agenda here.

I have to learn to be patient. As Cherilyn tells me, my grip reaction is to panic and over-react. I need to switch from panic to patience. Think it's possible?

The tea is delicious. It almost tastes like chai tea from home.

People are always enamored with a kawaja.

Dress code matters in the field. According to a certain someone, not naming names here, tights are NOT pants no matter how long the top you are wearing is anywhere besides Juba. AND tank tops are a no-no. Pants and covered shoulders = increased safety and appropriateness but not immunity to the stares from locals.

The laowa is a traditional article of clothing for women in Malakal to wear. I learned this from the woman who was fascinated with my eyebrow ring. She couldn’t believe it was actually pierced through my skin.

There are many different forms of scarring for each different tribe. I would be very interested to learn the meaning of each kind. I know it differentiates tribes but I am not sure if that is the only thing.

Water is brown here. Just have to accept the facts.

Agriculture and fishing are dangerous occupations for locals.

Malakal is not the safest place at night.

One small orange cost 2 SDG.

Lemons are tiny and green.

A white girl in a small market creates overcrowding and staring from 15 children and 10 adults and many more stares from passerbys.

1 comment: