Friday, August 19, 2011

Day Sixty-Eight - The Office

There is nothing better then a rain cooled breeze after an afternoon of sweating profusely in a poorly ventilated office with a fan that sounds like the propellor of an airplane.

Our office is a 40 minute drive from Transmillenium over bumpy dusty roads. It is one room (the joined room is the office of the organization Compass), roughly 15x12, it feels smaller than that due to the 4 desks, a cabinet and a large table, and of course our ghetto fan. The walls are white, and kinda brown because they are dirty. There are 3 opening windows which are very very nice on a windy day, but not so much when the sun is shining high in the sky. We are attacked by a clan of ants daily, but it is getting better. I killed some today and then watched their surviving family members carry them off. I actually felt kind of bad for killing them after that. It as like they live by the motto, "leave no man or woman behind". Oh well. They bite me so they deserve it. Alexandra hates the office, she has nothing good to say about it except it is better than Arkel. (I had her permission to write that last part).

Today it was confirmed that I need to put more effort into learning Arabic. Not being able to convey what I want is starting to get a little frustrating when I can't communicate with anyone by the office. Fortunately there are English speaking people around so they sometimes act as translators but that can't happen forever.

I saw a beautiful rainbow in the middle of the sky on our drive home. I may have got a little too excited but it was the first rainbow I have seen and it was so nice.

1 comment:

  1. No matter where you are, a rainbow is a beautiful sight. Hopefully the ants will move to safer digs. (And leave you alone).

    ReplyDelete