Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day Fifty-Eight - Yogurt

This morning I got a head start on packing for the field. Packing ahead of time. Extra points for me!

We were picked from Transmillenium and Benedicte or maybe Alexandra, can’t remember which, had the brilliant idea of stopping at the supermarket to get something for breakfast considering there is nowhere near the office to get breakfast food that is not a rolex. That something turned out to be a nice container of yogurt, which immensely enjoyed. It was such a treat. I ate the whole container throughout the morning. I got mango but will most likely get plain next time. It was a little too sweet but still sooo good

FYI: a rolex is a chapati with egg rolled into it. It was relatively good the first 2 weeks I was here but now I can't really enjoy the thought of eating one now. Not sure why that is. Chapati is unleavened flatbread, usually drowned in oil then fried. Without the generous helping of oil and the egg they are quite tasty with a cup of tea.

We worked all day. I even did a little bit of writing again. I learned that “bi” means with and “bidun” means without. And contrary to what I was told in Cairo, no problem is “mish mish cala” not “mish mish cada”.

Quote of the day: “Ants are bold here. Really ant do you want to crawl on me because I will crush you” – Alexandra. Mosquitoes may not like her but ants sure do.

Today I had the best dinner ever! The most vegetables I have seen since coming to Juba. It was delicious. So many flavors and different vegetables. The Ethiopian place is the greatest. That is going to become a regular meal for me, guaranteed!

Rumbek bound tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment