Monday, August 22, 2011

Day Seventy One - Relocation

Happy Birthday Father!!! I hope you had an excellent day. Miss you a little more today :)

We now have driving privileges, and by we I mean Alexandra. We have taken over the Rav4. Yay! The freedom of having our “own” vehicle is so nice. Not having to rely on a driver and waiting around to be picked is so nice. The best part is that Natalie is letting me get my driver’s license. I am so stoked. Driving here is a whole new experience/adventure due to the conditions of the roads, especially those that are more like dried up river beds, the stupidity of boda boda drivers and the unpredictability of other vehicles on the roads. Oh and of course pedestrians who do not seem to have any fear of motor vehicles of any kind. One problem we have now is that we only know how to locate a few places in Juba so we sometimes get lost or can’t reach our destination because we cannot find a passable road. We are getting better at navigation and we are even working on burning some CDs so we have driving tunes.

Another new development today…we are moving! Sayonara Transmillenium and hello new quiet compound with a concrete room with the possibility of moving to a self-contained room, access to a kitchen and a TV. Yay! No more living in a tent. Not that the tents were that horrible it is more the compound, which I am not so happy with. Being woken up at 6am everyday to women banging around in the kitchen, sweeping, people brushing past my tent, and my least favorite is the Warrior Security men who come for training in our compound. Their staring eyes as I walk to the toilet, their shouting and scuffling of chairs will certainly not be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment