Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day Sixty-Two - Bites

Today is my friend Ashley Reimer's birthday! Happy Birthday my dear!

If I were to get malaria, today would be the day. I was attacked by mosquitoes last night. Seriously. They were out for my blood and succeeded in their mission to get it. I HATE MOSQUITOES. I woke up scratching my arms. It was pretty awful.

I had my usual breakfast. I think tomorrow I will ask for an omelet…I have also realized that I talk a lot about what I eat on my blog. I guess it is because I am going through my day and obviously eating is part of that. I think this trip is a little different because we are being slightly spoiled with the food here. They are very accommodating and it is quite different from what I usually eat when I am in the field.

Going with the trend of food, lunch was vegetable pizza and watermelon. Delish.

I finished training this morning and started data collection, which meant I had free time to get some work done on one of the reports I am doing some writing for. I sat under a tree outside and worked for about 2 hours. I was busy typing listening to music on my computer when I noticed the wind had picked up significantly. That could only mean one thing. RAIN. I packed up my computer and other things and relocated to a covered pad. I did this all just in time. The moment I sat down under the covered area it started to pour. So much rain! We were stranded for 30 minutes waiting for the rain to settle down. It did not. The puddles seem to form instantly. Roads here in Rumbek are must better than in Malakal in the sense that they do not turn to mud puddles and they seem to be relatively easy to walk on. The issue here is that rivers form on either side of the road. Crossing roads becomes a big issue. I am very thankful that UNHCR has been so good at providing us with a driver/vehicle. I do not know what we would do without that.

Tomorrow is our day off, although writing needs to get done so we shall see how much time we get to spend doing nothing. I am really hoping for sunshine so I can chill by the pool, which we have not been able to use yet. Sunshine please come out to play tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment