Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day Fourty-Six - "Africa Day"

This morning I was greeted with empty pipes in my bathroom. No water. The water was finished and no one thought it would be a good idea to refill the water tank. Lovely. Breakfast changed my mood due to the fact that I got an ORANGE! Along with bread and tea. Yay fruit!! This certainly made up for the lack of running water.

I wish I wouldnt have left my peanut butter behind in Juba though. With all the plain bread I have been eating the thought of PB is wonderful. The last 2 times I have been in the field I have not used it so I was trying to be smart and save on luggage but in hindsight it was a bad idea to leave it behind.

We ended up waiting 3 hours at UNHCR today for a ride into town. Absolutely ridiculous. My patience was sure tested this trip. UNHCR only has one driver at the time because they sent all their other drivers to the field to deal with security problems and the mass amount of returnees in places near the border. I don’t remember the names of the places they were sent. So we waited while being told, “just 10 more minutes” and “the driver is coming”. I went straight to the SSRRC office when we finally made it to town. Unfortunately I missed the director once again. So in my frustration with that I made my way to the ARC compound to talk to someone about the conditions of the market. It was quite helpful and the man I talked to was very kind. I went back to Lawrence, we had lunch and called it a day. Yet another unproductive day but I can’t do any of my work until I talk with the SSRRC director or someone from there.






No comments:

Post a Comment