Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day Twenty Three - The Report Writing Begins

I woke up curled up in a ball shivering at 2am this morning. I had to loot around in my bags for the sheet I brought from home because the ladies failed to provide me with one, and I failed to realize this before I went to sleep. Once I got curled up under my sheet I slept until my alarm went off.

The new office, which is located at the Compass organization office a half hour drive from Tong Ping, has no power so we went to Jebel lodge for our staff meeting. We got delicious French press coffee and sorted through a whole lot of things. I am leaving for Magwi and Abara with Lawrence on July 13th for more research work. We can drive there so no flying this time. I think I will be gone for 10 days but it may only be a week. I kindly interrupted our meeting due to a spider dropping into my lap. I of course had a full cup of coffee in my hand so I proceeded to freak out that there was a spider on my lap, splashing coffee everywhere and making a great first impression with Lawrence and Chelly (our new accountant). I recovered and cleaned up the coffee, but it took a while for my heart rate to go down… Nicole and I sat at Jebel until 4 working on the UMCOR report. I spent the whole time making tables for data entry. It was more difficult than it should have been but I slowly caught on what I needed to do by the end.

We switched locations and went closer to home, Nimule restaurant, which had no internet except for a months pass. We eventually swindled our way into getting free internet for the rest of the day…excellent. This place has a gorgeous pool which looks ever so inviting but it is only open to people staying in the hotel here. Tear.

Us girls went for a walk at UNMIS. I was really looking forward to going for a run but we were talking about work stuff so I had to stick with the pack. Boo. Maybe next time. I did get to watch a beautiful sunset and moon rise.

Akshaya, Lawrence, James and I went out for supper. We started at some place I do not recall the name but they did not have any vegetables, and I wasn’t in the mood for meat and Akshaya is a vegetarian so we left. We went to Panache, an Indian restaurant. It was really good. A bit pricy but good.

As I was getting ready for bed, a horrible sound came from my roof. It sounded like a half dead or very injured animal was dragging itself across my roof. I didn’t know if it was better to run out and hide in Nicole or Akshaya’s tents or to jump under my mosquito net and hide. I chose the mosquito net. No way I was going outside to be jumped on by a strange unknown injured or dying animal. It was not cool to say the least.

2 comments: