Friday, July 29, 2011

Day Fourty-Seven - Mud Puddle

The dirt here is very strange. Any amount of rain turns the roads into mud puddles and makes for a very treacherous walk. Many of the locals take off their shoes or slippers and walk barefoot. It was tempting because I was not having much success walking in my sandals, but the risk of cutting my foot and getting typhoid was too high. And I think Lawrence would ban me from walking anywhere if I did that. So I have started calling Malakal Mud Puddle instead. It suits the location much better. If we would have been there any longer I would have invested in a pair of gum boots.
Oh AND it was sooo cool when the donkey carts (they are everywhere) went through the mud. The splashing looked like fireworks, or something like that. I of course got very excited when I saw this so was made fun of by Lawrence or just given very strange looks from people.

I finally met the SSRRC director, after walking to the office in the mud attempting to not fall on my butt or face.

I have to wait until Monday to meet with community leaders because 1000s of returnees just came by boat today so they are occupied with getting them organized.

I started some retailer interviews today. Yay. Being productive!

Friday nights are party nights at the UNMIS compound in Malakal. And by party nights, I mean people go to the Hard Rock Café, drink beer and listen to bad music in an over-air-conditioned room. I would go crazy if I had to live in Malakal. Being cooped up in a UN compound every day and not being able to leave after 6pm does not sounds like it would be fun. It would get old very fast.




1 comment:

  1. Wow. It must really rain hard when it rains as that is a big puddle!

    I am happy to see pictures of the things you are seeing.

    ReplyDelete