Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day Twenty One - Powerless

I have 50 minutes of battery left on my computer before it dies. The generator is out of fuel so that means no power for us today. It is quite unfortunate than all of the things I have for entertainment need power, except my book. Being relient on power is an unfortunate thing in a place where fuel is not always available and the power is unreliable. I have survived. And it is back to Juba in the morning so I can charge up my stuff there.

I woke up at 7 this morning and could not get back to sleep due to my spot on the bed being so overheated from me lying there all night. Being up early on my day off is not ideal but when you can’t sleep you can’t sleep.

I sent all of the data we collected at the markets and attempted to start working on the report but I did not get much done.

Nicole and I went to a place called Unique for lunch. I waited an hour for them to cook some beans because I was not interested in trying their chicken or beef stew. It was good, but waayy too big of a portion and they don’t really do take away here…

We had a relaxing afternoon. It absolutely poured rain for about an hour. Torrential downpour. The windows in my room were open so there was a nice big puddle beside my bed. Thank goodness my stuff didn’t get wet. The rain is a welcomed break from the heat. It really cools the air and makes things fresh. That is the only good thing about the rain. I am sure the road conditions are worse than before and hopefully the rain stays away until we fly out tomorrow or else the air strip may be closed….knock on wood that doesn’t happen.

We went to UNMIS for supper. I had lentils and chips….my last night for chips. Gotta stay fit… Our nice evening stealing electricity and eating a meal in a air conditioned room was interrupted by the loudest longest thunder I have heard in a very long time. I kind of scared me. Hahah. We hurried our butts home after that because we definitely did not want to walk home in the rain.

AND we came home to a dark compound and a 6 inch long centipede sitting in our room by the door. I could have cried. EWW! It took me like 5 minutes to step over the darn thing and go to the bathroom. I repeat EWW!

2 comments:

  1. I knocked on wood! So good to see your new post. Centipedes--yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EWWWW! I would have freaked out. Too bad about the lack of power, but glad to read your post! We are having a crazy thunderstorm right now.

    ReplyDelete