Monday, November 14, 2011

Day One Hundred & Fifty Four - Imagine

Recently I have been having conversations with people who have been in South Sudan since before the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) was signed in 2005. It is unimaginable what they experience. Juba is extremely different from what it was two years ago. I can’t imagine how much it has changed in the past five years and more. Part of me would have liked to experience South Sudan before now, but at the same time what would that do for me. Put some more experience under my belt living in an insecure country. Living a very minimalist lifestyle. Having only one or two places to go out to where there were only a handful of expats around. Experiencing Juba only having 30 vehicles. Seriously three years ago there were only 30 vehicles in Juba. No there are sooo many. Mostly driven by people who don’t know how to properly drive. Security was much more intense than it is now, and even now, for me, to see soldiers walking about with AK47s is certainly not a normal thing and I do not thing I will ever really get used to it. People who have lived here for years however are used to it. It is their normal. Seriously Juba turned into an entirely new place in the last two years. The people who have been part of this transformation and who have experienced it first hand intrigue me to no end.

I was telling a friend how much I like living here and it made me start to think of why. It obviously is not the most luxurious place to be. There are limited places where one can go and have fun. Getting around is at times difficult. Living here involves being very organized when it comes to logistical things. Logistics is usually a problem. It is hot and dusty and bugs. I was attacked so many times tonight. Bugs stuck in my hair. Not cool. However, I love the people here. I have met so many interesting and amazing people. Surprisingly enough it is easy to become attached to this place. I have probably already shared these sentiments with you. The fact that I am still here is evidence enough of how I am enjoying myself and how Juba is treating me.

John Lennon has an extremely famous song, Imagine, which I feel represents a part of what South Sudan has accomplished. People dreamed of peace, of living in unity with one another. They lived through hell, millions of lives were lost and for those who survived were fortunate enough to see the dream of peace become a reality. Now I am not saying that South Sudan is fully united and there is no conflict. Compared to what South Sudan was three years ago, five years ago, ten years ago, twenty years ago, South Sudan is an entirely different place and a million times more peaceful than what is was.

What has gone on in this country is overwhelming and extremely hard to fully comprehend what life was like in South Sudan before 2011. And I know I never will, but I can listen to stories, read about history and make myself aware of what people went through to create the country I live in today...


Any place can be beautiful if you have an open mind, open eyes and an open heart...

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why but I imagined the country around Juba to be very flat but there are mountains. Thanks for the picture and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete