Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day One Hundred & Fifty Seven - Khawaja On The Run



The location of my new home is perfect for running. We are rather secluded compared to where I was previously living; therefore, I can run freely down the roads in the area. There is only one short stretch, maybe 10 meters, of tarmac and then it is dirt roads from there on. The roads may be miserable to drive on, but they are good to run on. A natural ground for my feet to plant themselves on.

When I say I can run freely I mean that I do not have to wait around for a driver to take me to the UNMIS track. I can run right out my compound gate and run freely down the road, with only the people to stare at me, greet me and when I am lucky I even have people join me on my run. I am quite encouraged by the people I pass and it may sound silly but I am challenged to run a little faster because I am always being watched. It is like I am in competition with the people I pass. I have something to prove to them. I would never dare start walking.

On Monday I had about 10 boys and girls, running behind me for almost 5 minutes. It was slightly awkward because I knew that they could all school me, but none of them passed me so it was cool. Why not bring more attention to myself with a group of cute kids running behind me, right? On Tuesday I went to put on my runners and lo and behold they were sopping wet. The ladies that clean my room and do my laundry thought it would be a good idea to clean them for me. Very nice of them but NOT appreciated at all. Runners just are not meant to be washed. So that being said I put my anything but dry, however clean runners and went on my way. I had a girl, maybe 16 years old, run along side me for a minute this time. Considering she was in flip-flops she kept up very well. I asked her name but I didn’t quite catch it…Today was a quiet run (with dry runners). I started early enough to see a gorgeous sunrise. It was lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some sparklin' clean shoes. Run safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to have seen you running with those kids trailing behind you. It sounds wonderful. It is cold and icy and not good for running at all.

    ReplyDelete