Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day One Hundred & Eight - Juba Orphanage

I received a call at 11 am today and on the other end was a man wondering if I could come for a meeting at the Juba Orphanage right away. I of course said yes considering the fact I was not doing anything important.

I hopped on a boda boda and made my way to the orphanage. I was meeting about a position I inquired about late last week. It is a teaching position 3 days a week for 2 hours in the evening. It doesn’t pay enough for it to really matter so I am just going to volunteer my services until I get a job or come back to Canada. I am excited. It will be nice to have something to do during the day besides sit on the internet looking for jobs and wasting the rest of my day trying to find something to do. Yay.

Juba Orphanage was founded in November 1962 during the first civil war in Sudan. The goal of the facility was to take in children who were separated from their families during the war, with the hope of reuniting the children with their families at a later date. The Juba Orphanage is one the only government run orphanages in South Sudan housing children from many tribes and from every state. Today there are 76 children living in home, ranging in age from 2 – 20 years old.

I am excited to meet the children and be a part of their lives, even if it is only for a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment