Friday, September 23, 2011

Day One Hundred & Three - On The Other Side

I am now living on the other side of Trans compound. I talk about it as though I have crossed over to the dark side or something. Quite the contrary. As the owner made it clear to me, that side is not the good side. The tents are not as new, or as big as the tent on the side I have been living on for the past three months. The funny thing is that I actually prefer this tent. There is something about it. It is smaller, the canvas is not as thick, thus letting in more light, and the windows are not as nice. However! My bed is awesome. There is a great mattress. Tonight I will have a mosquito net and it will be excellent. Because I am on the other side, I am no longer situated beside the kitchen or anywhere near the common area, which means that I am not rudely woken up at 6am by sweeping, shuffling chairs, and men training to be security guards. Forgetting the fact that I was up from 4:00-5:30am, I slept right until 8:30am without being disturbed.

Sweet lassi. Never heard of it? That is unfortunate. You are missing out on a delicious yogurt based drink that is common in the Indian Subcontinent, which they serve for 10 SSG at Nimule. It is worth it. You can get it sweet or salty. I have never tried the salty but I am sure it would also be good.

There is really not much one can do in Juba besides sitting for hours or working. I have taken to the sitting for hour’s option. It is not very exciting or that much fun, but I do have the time now to read, which I did not have previously. I am sure there are very few expats here who are just here hanging out. I am one of the special ones. Always have to set myself apart from the others right?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear there are good things on the other side. I always wondered about that.

    ReplyDelete