Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day One - CAIRO!!

I have officially arrived in Cairo. It feels so amazing to be back. Everything feels familiar, the sounds, the smells, the people, everything. I like it. The weather is beautiful right now, expecially down on the water. I imagine tomorrow will be a nice 35 degrees...

My trip went as well as it could have. Goodbyes at the airport on Monday were of course tear-filled but definitely not as much as I thought. We all held ourselves together quite well I think. Mom, Dad, Cherilyn, Lisa and Tyson all came to see me off which was great. My route was Calgary to London to Cairo. Not having a layover in Toronto made for a long flight, 8.5 hours. I came to the conclusion that Air Canada has the most uncomfortable seats compared to all of the other airlines I have flown with which made sleeping on the plane a little difficult. I did get a decent amount of broken up sleep which helped keep my sleep schedule from getting messed up. And I got an amazing plane survival kit from Cherilyn so that was fun to go through and use :) I was feeling quite ill when I got off the plane so I had a little nap and felt better afterwards. I distracted myself with people watching and my book, Six Months In Sudan, while I was in London. Lisa the trail mix you sent with me was delish! I was only there for 4.5 hours so it wasn't a long layover at all. When I booked my flight I made the excellent choice of checking off vegetarian for meals. My meals were all really good. My flight from London to Cairo was good, had a nap and read. It was interesting to hear what countries we flew over on the way - Germany, Italy, Croatia, Serbia and Greece. By the end of the flight I was feeling quite ready to be off the plane, and it was a very smooth landing which is alway appreciated.

Everything went smoothly at the Cairo airport. All my luggage arrived, after a few thoughts of how it would be my luck to not recieve my luggage, I got a decently priced taxi which brought my right down to the Nile where the houseboat is. I did have a "New York Moment" because I couldn't quite remember exactly where the houseboat was, and I didn't have Natalie's correct number, so I ended up getting help from a woman named Sam, who is living on the houseboat I stayed on last time I was in Cairo. It was bizarre and Sam was very helpful and she actually used to live on the houseboat Natalie is on. Crazy stuff. But I am here, all in one piece, a little tired and a little in disbelief that I am here. The whole way here I could not wrap my head around the fact I was on my was to Cairo and then heading to Juba. I am across the world in AFRICA! Yay.

I also decided clouds are so amazing when you are looking at them from above and so are big cities. Cities at night are beautiful with their lights sparkling like stars on the ground.

Cairo has welcomed me back, and the curfew that was in place has even been lifted today so if I really want to I can stay out after 2 am now! haha. It is fantastic to see Natalie. She is as awesome as ever. I am very excited for what is in store! ADVENTURE!

PEACE!

4 comments:

  1. So good to read this post and know you arrived safely. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! You made it! I'm glad that all went well, aside from the New York Moment. I will have to remember to choose vegetarian options for our next flight, because airplane meat is disgusting. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad u arrived intact and that from the beginning "little miracles" are coming ur way! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete