Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day Three - Back in the Cairo Groove

Once again I am crashing on a couch, but this time it is on a houseboat so nothing can beat that. I only slept until 10:30, which may actually have been 9:30, I was having major time problems since getting to Cairo. I went to St.Andrews this morning which was really nice. Not too many people remembered me but enough did remember me that it was fun. I saw some of my students and it was really nice. Obviously I could not expect any of my younger students to remember me but it was great to see them again. They all looked so much older :)

The call to prayer bring back memories. That is what I am listening to right now. When I was living in Cairo I used the prayers as a clock. When prayers came on at the mosques I knew what time it was. Like right now it is 7pm, which I think is the 4th prayer of the day.

I went a got some koshari for lunch. It was as delicious as I remember it being. It was nostalgic to walk down in my old stomping grounds from 2 years ago. It was very cool to see the graffiti from the revolution and the changes to the area. Tahrir square was definitely different. It was evident there was a greater military and police presense. I saw a few tanks driving down the road. The guys riding in it ever so graciously stared at me, being the white foreigner, as they drove past. I did not miss the hissing and stares but that is just part of life here...

The rest of the evening has been spent relaxing on the houseboat (which I am in love with). The breeze off the Nile is beautiful and so welcoming....

Oh AND there is a lunar eclipse tonight!! I am so excited!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are tripping down memory lane. have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd better be getting some sweet photos!!! How cool to be back where you were. I'm glad you got to visit St. Andrew's. :)

    ReplyDelete