Monday, June 27, 2011

Day Fifteen - Looks Like Rain

I woke up at 7:10 to the roosters, dogs barking and the wind blowing. It looked very much like rain which would not have boded well for our drive. After an hour of driving it started raining and didn't quit until about 11...

We had bread for breakfast. It was amazing. So good. A very nice change.

We have a new driver and vehicle now. We are in a massive land cruiser and our driver is Sahdala, he is from Darfur and very nice and a good driver. There were children upon children walking to school. The road is mud and puddles due to the rain storm we are chasing and slowly catching up to. Rained on roads means no dust which is nice for the people on the side of the road. The land cruiser handles the road better than the HiLux but we have to drive slower...My seat belt constantly locks and chokes me. My hair falls out of my elastic because of the the bumps. I saw a farmer who had his goats all tied together so they wouldn't get away from each other, very effective, quite entertaining.

The rain caused issues because people don't really come outdoors when it rains so we couldn't do any surveys or interviews. Delayed...We bought lunch in the market, Sudanese ful and bread. It was good but I didn't have much of an appetite eating while I knew everyone else around probably was not eating lunch today. And there was a beggar lady which hung around all day making the situation even worse. Definitely not a rare situation or emotion with me...It was overwhelming...

We worked in the market until 4 today. I had to get our driver to stop on the way home to let me out and go the bathroom. There are no bathrooms per say in the market so I could not hold it anymore on the bumpy roads.

I am very thankful for mosquito nets...

1 comment:

  1. Caryn--the bathroom stop sounds familiar from our family road trips!

    I am glad you have a mosquito net too. The mosquitos are so bad here I can not stand to be outside but at least we don't have to worry about malaria--just west nile!

    ReplyDelete