Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day Seven - Day Off

Last night I ended up staying up later than I should have. I went for supper at a place called Kilimanjaro. It was good and I met some other ex-pats who are here until August so hopefully I see them again this week and can get some numbers. It would be great to have a few friends around...

I slept a combination of 8 hours last night which is the most I have had since I left home. I also had a crazy fast creature luring about in my tent last night. I only knew that it was fast because I tried to kill it but couldn't...I think it was a cricket but I am not sure. Sunday's are my days off so I am free to do what I like. There are these trees behind the tents that have flowers that look like daffodills. Very pretty. The air is always really hazy and think. Don't know if it dust or from the humidity. Probably a combination...

I experienced my first Juba storm this morning. The thunder was very loud and it was the first blue skies I have seen. The rain didn't last long but it was refreshing and really cooled the air down. The 2 girls working for Natalie and I went to a place called Rock City this morning and had a late lunch and just relaxed. There was a pool there but we didn't venture in. We could see the hills from there which were pretty cool. We ended up going to another ex-pat hangout called Jebel (which means mountain I think). There was American music playing like Adele and Rihanna which was fun. I got my first sunburn. I am just a little pink (don't worry Mom). I definitely did not bring enough sunscreen and bug spray...

I saw rock chippers, or gravel makers, on our drive today. Mostly women sit for hours and hours chipping away large stones to make gravel. I could not imagine doing that. Wow.

The power is currently off at Arkel but the internet is still working which is excellent. Power outages happen a lot, but I do not think they usually last this long...

I am slowly seeing more of Juba. I am learning that transportation is expensive, even more so now because of the fuel shortage, everything is imported here making everything expensive. Haha. Quite different from other places I have been. Juba is a place of its own....

3 comments:

  1. I did gasp at the sunburn! :) I am glad it is not bad and hope you can find some more sunscreen and bug spray. I was looking at rental property in Juba as I was trying to find a picture of your camp and WOW I can't believe how expensive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vivid descriptions make me feel like I'm there :)
    I don't know how those women chip rocks all day it's amazing. Sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories, Caryn. We'll have to build a Care Package full of bugspray and sunscreen for you!

    ReplyDelete