Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day Fourteen - Two Weeks

Two weeks ago I was getting on a plane in Calgary on my way to Africa. Hard to believe. Hard to believe that is has only been two weeks since I left and only ten days in Sudan. I am reading a book, Six Month in Sudan, and he gave a good description of how time is different here. "I think some of the reason the time feels differently here is that there are few distractions. There is no morning paper to read while we eat breakfast. After dinner, there are no concerts to go to, nor walks to go on. We sit quietly and the moments stretch." A good analysis regarding time in Sudan.

Technically it was our day off today but we were having major issues with the surveys so had to spend a few hours working on those. It began to thunder, which meant our internet would go out, so we frantically had to make notes and send them off to Juba for Natalie and Akshaya to work on tomorrow. Rain messing up our day.

Lunch was chicken and rice. I actually ate some of the chicken today. My intestines are not liking Aweil. I am not sure if it is the food or the water, but something has definitely decided not to agree with me.

Tomorrow we are hoping to leave at 7:30am. We now have two markets to do surveys at so that complicates things more and means more time on the road. OH JOY! We get the land cruiser tomorrow. It is a bigger vehicle than the truck so we shall see how it compares to the HiLux.

I asked about the jumping spider, and after some unkind joking about the fact they could jump off the walls onto you, I was informed that in fact they do not jump. I am NOT convinced. I swear I saw it jump...never trust a spider...

One of the guys that works with UMCOR got stranded and had to sleep out in the bush! And after that he had to get a boda to take him the rest of the way to town! I will not complain about the drive tomorrow....We had a much better day than he did that's for sure.

PEACE!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about what you're up to. Crazy stuff! it sounds like a lot of fun.. and a little nerve racking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should keep a running tally of how many times the awesome word "ewww" makes it's way into the blog! Love the vivid descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete