Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day Ten - Keep Juba Clean

With Independence near, there are campaigns to keep it clean/clean it up. There are trees being planted, roads being cleaned up and fixed, the trash is being picked up, and there are trash/recycling cans at the major areas. And a ton of signs say KEEP JUBA CLEAN. DO NOT LITTER. It is great.

This morning I got a crash course on the work I am going to be doing in Aweil. It is a lot of information to process and think through but it is going to be good.

We had carrots at lunch in a salad. Oh my goodness they were sooo good. So sweet and flavorful. I thought about them for the rest of the day.

I met a rep from CIDA today. We were very late for the meeting due to driver issues but he didn’t have much to tell us anyways. Haha. He was new so did not know everything that we were asking him. It was still interesting to talk with him and meet someone who works for CIDA. It is a very common occurance to meet people who work for big organizations like that. Tons of UN people around.

Akshaya, Banja (our translator), and I went and did a focus group with youth this evening at a football field. It was very interesting to talk with the youth, even though at times I couldn’t quite catch what was being said….We were surrounded by youth by the time we were done asking our questions.

We had supper at a place called Spice and Herbs. We shared some Indian food. It was good. The place was really nice. We sat outside beside a fountain. I got too many mosquito bites though….

So the system for laundry at Transmillenium is that we just set it on the ground in front of our tents and the ladies wash it and dry it during the day. I came home to clean and folded clothes on my bed. Only thing is that they are super rough with them so I will most likely end up washing a lot of clothes myself. And they don’t wash underwear so that is also on me to do…very understandably so…

No comments:

Post a Comment